Dating in Vancouver (or anywhere for that matter) is hard! Whether you were set up by friends, you swiped right, sent some flirty messages back and forth on a dating site or worked up the nerve to ask out the person you had your eye on for months, that first date can feel a little like a job interview, which is enough to make anyone nervous. While you can’t control whether or not there’s an instant spark or you encounter any deal breakers, you can incorporate some of our date night beauty tips to gain major confidence. When you look fantastic, you feel fantastic and that makes putting yourself out there a bit easier. Ready to get your glow on? Here’s NuAGE’s skincare routine for dating.
Starting Your Date Night Prep Early?
As a Vancouver laser clinic, we’ve seen all manner of skin concerns. While lasers are an amazing way to get permanent, dramatic results and a flawless complexion from the inside out, you don’t want to hop on our table for an acne Laser Genesis or laser skin tightening treatment the day before your first date. However, if you’re getting a head start on the process and are interested in rejuvenating your complexion before you dive back into the dating pool or perhaps you’re in a long-term relationship and want to give your skin a boost for romantic nights to come, kicking off your routine months in advance can pay off big time. Treatments can address acne, scars and dark spots, the signs of aging, rosacea and rosy cheeks, body hair, lips and even toenails.
However, we’re well aware that if you’re on the hunt for skin care dating tips, you probably want to see results now and most likely already have plans. A week or so before your big date, we’d recommend a spa facial. The facials at NuAGE are customized to your skin and include all the good stuff like deep cleansing, massage, exfoliation, and extractions. They’re extremely relaxing and perfect for soothing first date jitters and you’ll be able to create a nice base to work with. We also offer Vancouver Botox and dermal fillers to turn back the clock on aging. Botox takes a few days to kick in and while dermal fillers offer immediate plumping and smoothing, there’s potential for localized swelling so scheduling these two weeks in advance is your best bet.
It’s Almost Here! First Date Beauty Tips for Those Last Nights
So now that you laid the groundwork with a facial or other procedures and you’re meeting up with your potential love interest in the next few days, you’re probably wondering what to do to your face before a date? Well, here’s our protocol for the two nights prior to your rendezvous:
- Wash away the day with a high-quality cleanser (our pick: ZO® Skin Health Offects Hydrating Cleanser or Offects Exfoliating Cleanser). Use a pea-sized amount of your cleanser and massage it into your skin for 45 to 60 seconds before gently washing it away. This promotes microcirculation and lymphatic drainage.
- Scrub with ZO® Skin Health Offects Exfoliating Polish or if you have blemishes, use ZO® Medical Vitascrub Acne Treatment with 2% salicylic acid. Apply the product on dry skin and work it in for 30 to 45 seconds. Add a bit of water to your hands and then continue to massage for another 30 to 45 seconds before rinsing.
- Apply ZO® Medical Invisapeel Intensive Resurfacing Peel in a thin, even layer, avoiding the sensitive eye area, and leave it on overnight. Wash it off in the morning and follow up with your usual routine. Be sure to slather on a good sunscreen!
- Cleanse again with the cleanser you used the night before.
- Exfoliate with your Offects Exfoliating Polish or Vitascrub.
- Coat your skin with a thin, even layer of ZO® Skin Health Offects Sulfur Masque and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off, pat your skin dry and finish up with your usual nighttime products.
The Day Of:
- Cleanse your skin.
- Apply the normal skincare products in your regimen including sunscreen if the sun is still shining.
- Get your skin ready with a primer. We’re loving Jane Iredale Smooth Affair® Facial Primer & Brightener (there’s also a version for oily skin).
- Depending on the amount of coverage you want, glide on a mineral foundation or BB cream. Our favorites include Jane Iredale’s PurePressed® Base Mineral Foundation, Amazing Base® Loose Mineral Powder or Glow Time® Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream. Glow Time and Amazing Base will give you a luminous glow while PurePressed is semi-matte and will control shine.
- Finish up with makeup that’s not too far from what you usually rock. While going with a bold lip or a smoky eye is always sexy, one of the biggest first date beauty mistakes people make is opting for a whole new look. While, of course, you want to feel gorgeous, you also want to feel like yourself so you’re comfortable and confident.
- Swipe some Jane Iredale Tantasia® Self Tanner & Bronzer on your face for an instant golden glow. It smells light and fresh so you don’t have to worry about the usual self-tanning odor. For a full body, natural looking tan, start applying the formula to your entire face and body several days before your date.
Your Products: The First Date Beauty Checklist
When choosing skincare products to bring out the best in your complexion, keep your skin’s needs in mind. We’re so into ZO® Skin Health by Zein Obagi, MD and Jane Iredale that we carry both lines at NuAGE. Here’s the scoop on the picks we mentioned above:
ZO® Skin Health Offects Hydrating Cleanser
Hydrates and rejuvenates without disrupting the skin’s moisture barrier
- Helps retain moisture during the cleansing process
- Soothes and calms the skin
- Removes makeup, dirt and oil without leaving behind any residue
ZO® Skin Health Offects Exfoliating Cleanser
Gently cleanses and exfoliates normal to oily skin
- Removes surface oils and impurities
- Removes dead skin cells helping to unclog pores
- Calms and soothes irritated skin
ZO® Skin Health Offects Exfoliating Polish
Exfoliates using ultra-fine magnesium crystals to remove dead skin cells and increase epidermal turnover for a cleaner, smoother, more even-toned complexion; ideal for all skin types
- Physical exfoliation with magnesium crystals offers the benefits of at-home microdermabrasion
- Instantly polishes skin to restore a smoother texture and a healthy glow
- Removes dead skin cells helping to prevent clogged pores
- Enhances the penetration of active ingredients in the rest of your products
ZO® Medical Vitascrub Acne Treatment Salicylic Acid 2%
Invigorating, multi-function scrub banishes blemishes and promotes clear skin
- Offers dual-action chemical and physical exfoliation
- Targets oil and bacteria
- Increases skin hydration
ZO® Medical Invisapeel Intensive Resurfacing Peel
A unique, at-home peel formulated to exfoliate the surface of the epidermis
- Improves skin’s texture and tone
- Helps to smooth uneven, rough skin
- Revives a dull looking complexion
- Improves the visible signs of sun damage
- Enhances the benefits of any ZO treatment or product
ZO® Skin Health Offects Sulfur Masque Acne Treatment
A deep-pore, medicated cleansing masque designed for treating oily or acneic skin
- Absorbs surface oils and reduces shine
- Helps prevent clogged pores
- Can be used as a spot treatment on blemishes
Jane Iredale Smooth Affair® Facial Primer & Brightener
A skin-quenching primer to prepare the skin so makeup goes on easier and lasts longer
- Brings out skin’s natural radiance
- Minimizes the appearance of pores, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Anti-aging properties
- Smooths, brightens, hydrates and nourishes skin
Jane Iredale PurePressed® Base Mineral Foundation
A weightless, sheer, oil-free, matte foundation made from micronized minerals
- Acts as a semi-matte foundation and concealer and offers broad spectrum mineral sun protection
- Fights free radicals using potent antioxidants
- Water resistant for 40 minutes
- Glides on smooth for a look that’s just like your own skin, only better
Jane Iredale Amazing Base® Loose Mineral Powder
An airy mineral foundation with luminous sheer to medium coverage that feels like silk
- Conceals redness and diffuses the appearance of fine lines and pores with a soft focus effect
- Acts as a weightless foundation and concealer and offers broad spectrum mineral sun protection
- Water resistant for up to 40 minutes
Jane Iredale Glow Time® Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream
A velvety, luminous, full coverage cream that hydrates, protects, conceals and brightens
- Offers broad spectrum mineral sun protection
- Smooths and brightens skin
- Covers blemishes and minimizes the appearance of pores, wrinkles and fine lines
- Calms, soothes and moisturizes
- Fights free radicals and keeps skin looking youthful
Jane Iredale Tantasia® Self-Tanner & Bronzer
A lightly citrus-scented self-tanner and bronzer that imparts an immediate golden glow while gradually developing for an even, natural-looking tan
- Tinted formula offers instant bronzing and optimal application control
- The unique blend works with the melanin in your skin to gradually develop a customized, long-lasting, even tan that looks natural
- Leaves behind a light citrus scent and makes skin feel silky
Obviously, the most important things when dating are having fun and enjoying meeting new people! However, feeling amazing in your own skin doesn’t hurt either and trying out some of our essential beauty tips for your first date will help you do just that. Whether you have days, weeks or months to prepare, our Vancouver laser procedures, injectables, and skin care treatments will whip your complexion into shape. We also carry powerful, nourishing skin care products, including the Jane Iredale and ZO® Skin Health lines, so you can put your best face forward. Book a consultation at NuAGE Laser and one of our experts will customize a plan to meet your skin’s unique needs for a radiant complexion for your first date and beyond.